Writing Through The Ages : How Technology Shapes The Way I Write My Stories

Technology has shaped our life. That is inevitable. From the way we interact with each other to the way we cook, technology has played a part to change how we usually do things in our daily life.

As an author, I feel that technology also has changed how I write down my imagination. Since I am a 90's kid, here is how my writing tools have changed in all these years:

Book and Pen



I have been writing stories since elementary school. I remembered that the only tools that I could get at that time were a book and a pen. As simple as that. Armed with a book and a pen at hand, I began my journey as an amateur fiction author.

Typewriter



I used typewriter several years after using a book and a pen. The typing machine belonged to my mom. Since book and pen still were easier to use (also, my mom had to use the typewriter for work), I rarely used it.

Personal Computer/PC



I got my first PC on 2000's and used it to type some of my stories. But because I had to sit on a chair everytime I wanted to use it, I only typed my most important stories on it.

Laptop

My dad bought me a laptop on my second year in university. Besides of typing my campus assignments, I also typed many stories using this laptop. This is the point where I moved my entire writing process to a machine. I stopped writing stories using my hand after this. 

Tablet

Several years ago, my father bought a tablet and I borrowed it to write some of my stories. Since I could write any stories while laying on a bed, I loved it almost instantly. Too bad sometimes I felt that it was too big for my hands so I wanted something smaller with the same function. My smartphone couldn't do that at that time due to its low RAM.

Smartphone



About two years ago, I replaced my old smartphone and bought this cool one with a large RAM and memory. That way, I could write stories without lag in some word applications. Now I can write any stories, anytime, anywhere.

With the speed of technology nowadays, I wonder, what is the future of writing tools? A robot writing assistant, perhaps? Or a pen that can write automatically by command? Whatever it is, I am very much looking forward to it and I am sure you are, too!

This blog is created to share some experiences and knowledges so we can make a better world together.